Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Zombies in the Brecht house!!!

Today is... well, I'm not quite sure what today is. All I know right now is that we love our son, Elijah very, very much. For the last nine months everyone has told us that all newborn babies do is eat, sleep, cry, and poop. We have found this to be completely untrue.

We are SO thankful that he doesn't cry. If he cry's for more than one minute a day, it would be a lot of crying for him. He fusses, but he rarely cries. Thank you Elijah.

He eats. For the last 18 hours he has eaten every TWO hours. I think he's going to be HUGE someday. If I eat every two hours... well... you can see what happens. (I like Chipotle, give me a break!)

He poops. That's okay, though. I grew up on a farm, and I've seen A LOT worse than that. In my youthful farming days, Dad made me the primary caretaker of hog manure. Now that I am a father, Gail has made me the primary caretaker of Elijah manure. I think I see a pattern...

Sleep?? The experts say, (the doctors and the books we've read) that newborns will typically sleep 16-20 hours a day. Our son? 8-12 hours a day. No, I'm not talking about 8 hours at night and naps. I mean 8-12 hours in a 24-hour-Earth-spins-a-full-revolution-on -its-axis day. We had a couple good days that were around 14... but most are closer to 10. Wait a minute... GAIL needs 10 hours of sleep a day... how can this tiny newborn run on 8-10 hours?!

We love our son. He is a great baby. He just likes... to be awake a lot. This phenomenon has transformed his regular human parents into Zombies. Yes, Zombies. Luckily, we have played Zombie Flux many times with Mr. Justin, so we've been somewhat prepared for the change.

If you would like to come visit us anytime, we strongly recommend you thoroughly read the Zombie Survival Guide first! If you call and ask us a question, one "arrrnrrrhhr" means 'no', two "arrrnrrrhhr"s means 'yes', and two "arrrnrrrhhr"s followed by a "HRRHHRMMMNNNAAH", means 'yes, you may come visit anytime, but we will eat you for dinner.'

Peace and Love,
Josh, Gail, and Elijah

2 comments:

Reemts said...

That's why I'm trying to sleep all I can now (a great excuse for daily naps). Only about five more weeks, and then we'll have our own perpetual motion machine!
Charlotte (and Adam)

Christy said...

Stop complaining and post more pictures of my super cute newphew. :D